It’s easy to focus on what’s negative. It’s how our brains evolved to work: watch out for threats (negative stuff) so you can protect yourself from them and survive.
But there’s a lot of positive out there.
Even on the rough days. And I believe strongly in honoring both the negative and the positive.
Sometimes the positive needs a lot more attention to help it stick in our brains. And sometimes that attention comes in the form of a list.
Today I decided to make a list of fifty things I like doing.
You’re invited to join me. In fact, I’d love your company.
So here we go. Things I love doing, in absolutely no particular order:
1. Hugging my wife
2. Walking my doggy
3. Getting in bed after a long day
4. Speaking of which: putting on pajamas after a long day!
5. Watching Seattle’s fascinating, varied clouds as they move across the sky
6. Enthusing about how much I love Hozier
9. Tipping extra at the coffee shop
10. Writing with my favorite Muji pens
11. Baking chocolate chip cookies
12. Hosting sweet attic meditations
13. Cradling a warm cup of tea in my hands
14. Brewing my favorite tea for friends
16. Listening to Serial (so sad it’s over)
17. Enthusing about Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
18. Soaking up live music
19. Taking showers
20. Summertime swimming in lakes
21. Having deep, deep conversations
22. Listening deeply during coaching sessions
23. Getting extremely excited when people I love have good things happen to them
24. Reading Harry Potter
25. Putting on underwear that’s actually very comfortable
26. Yin yoga-ing
28. Finding the perfect card for the perfect person
29. Sitting by a warm wintertime fire
30. Brunching with friends
31. Exploring Washington’s marvelous hiking options
32. Opening mail from friends
33. Getting crafty (particularly when it involves sparkles)
34. Taking blurry photographs of sunsets
35. Driving across the 520 bridge
36. Going to the movies
37. Tending to my houseplant
38. Checking things off a list
39. Browsing fancy supermarkets
40. Snuggling with my pup
41. Smelling anything that involves eucalyptus
42. Smelling every perfume in a store
43. Moving and sweating at the gym
44. Hot tubbing
45. Looking at the stars
46. Sitting on the dock
47. Listening to country on the radio
48. Stretching out my toes
49. Doing restorative yoga
50. Listening to the sounds of rain falling
So . . . what do you like doing?
Feel free to share your own list, of any length, below in the comments, or on social media with the hashtag #welcomingthegood.
I can’t wait to see more things people love and keep adding to my own list of delightfulness.
. . .
If you’re keen to cherish and draw even more wonderful things into your life, you might enjoy Welcoming the Good. It’s a free two-week exploration of the good that’s already in your life, and the good that’s out there waiting for you to find it. Join us here.